The weight will be an issue, plus if you aren't sealing it, you have lost even more flotation. So its better to address the turtle issue. I don't think the bottom plug should be much of an issue until you have turtled. You probably have your most significant leak at the diamonds and probably already had water in there from previous swims. In most cases, I don't think that the hounds even need to go under water.

On a recent capsize, I tried to stay dry and stepped down off the hull onto the mast. I managed to get slightly tangled in sheets while doing this and spent some time standing on the mast. I "freaked" when I saw how far I had pushed the mast under water. But once I got around to the underside and pulled on the dolphin striker, the masts buoyancy brought it back to the surface.
You perhaps do need to be a bit more motivated about getting the boat turned into the wind. Standing on the bows will often suffice but you could also lower yourself into the water at the bow and give some swimming kicks.