Ok. I have a really old boat and over the years soft spots have developed and I repaired them with the Epoxy injection method. My poor boat looks like a heroin addict as it has so many holes. Seems every few years the leading edge of the repair gets weak and starts to fail.

I sail heavy and hard. The last time I had the boat out I was trapped when I noticed a tweak in the hull. Freaked me out. The hull looked like it was failing at a 45 degree angle across the top of the hull with the front of the hull toeing in. I limped it back to the ramp and loaded up. There was a flat spot on the top of the hull and the side of the top there was a bulge at the edge. By the time I got home, it popped back into shape.....like it never happened.

I want to fix it for good. I am not really concerned with weight as much as I am strength. I am familiar with both polyester and epoxy fiberglass.

Seems that the delamination occurs right down the middle of the hulls. As you get to the edges, the foam core is still intact. Is it better to cut the top centers of the hull off entirely, and remove the damaged foam, add foam and relay the top back on? Is it possible to add a new layer of foam to the existing deck and glass over it? I know my sailboards use polystyrene as the core material. Can I shape normal polystyrene before glassing? Is wood a suitable core? Anybody done this? Im not going to throw the boat out. Materials are not that expensive and I have the time. I just dont want a hull failure while hanging out on the wire.

I dont care what it looks like as long as it is functional.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Last edited by tx246; 07/16/09 06:58 PM.