Great boat for lake sailing in NC- great active fleets. Very lightly built. Frank Meldau, the designer, canvassed all the major regattas on the lakes in the area and discovered the average wind speed was 4 knots I believe and set out to design a boat to excel in those conditions. Boat has evolved steadily and was one of few catamarans actually on display at the Annapolis US Sailboat show last year (can't say that about most of the other cat builders). When we started the F16 class we invited them to race with us and they did at the first SpringFever the F16's attended. When I left NC ~12 years ago most of the boats didn't even have trapezes but a few were adding them. IMO it is a quick boat in 5 knots or under and does point well- but pointing alone does not best VMG make for many boats, and like all these arguments about boat speed just look to the one relatively "unbiased" source we have - DPN.
Considering when they were designed they are still nice boats with some unique features- pivoting high-aspect centerboards and large, in hull storage compartments/coolers! After all, when you are out there in 2 knots of "wind" you surely want some nice cool ones along!
I know you will enjoy the boat and camaraderie!

Kirt

Kirt Simmons
Taipan, Flyer