Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

A friend will probably crew for me. Together we'd be about 345lbs. I know we'll be the heavy weights, but if it blows to beat hell we might be ok.

What the speculation on what most teams are going to be weighing in at?

When I sail with Gina we are about 280. I have raced up to 345 and finished exactly the same position relative to my regular competition in both light and heavy winds. The boat felt a little less responsive, but I did not lose any distance around the course.

At 280 and under I feel we are significantly disadvantaged once the wind hits above 15. At that point we are maxed out on rotation downhaul and have nothing left to do but pinch and sheet to keep it moving upwind. With more crew weight downwind the boat is a LOT easier to handle in the bigger wind also.(provided your crew knows what to do)

If you look at the Alter Cup in 07 the most competitve teams were all plus 310 in weight.

My opinion is anything up to 345 (maybe a little more for the higher volume boats like the Viper and Falcon) is perfectly in the range. Much over 345 and you will suffer a little in the lightest conditions, but they should have a 5 min lower window so it is not like the club races where you have to go out and float.

Matt