Ok, I've been talking to a few people and sturing up interest for an event in the fall of 2010. The reason why we are trying to do this is there are only a handful of F16's show up at the "Midwinters" at Tradwinds and Springfever regattas. Tradewinds is a LONG drive for a lot of the northern people and Springfever is on the Easter Holiday weekend, which a lot of people do the family thing including me. So, that generally brings out a handful of F16's at those 2 events.

Basically, we are looking for the same type of event that GYC puts on in the Spring that will bring out the numbers, but in the Fall. Here are some thoughts so far....

1. Make it Centrally located to bring the most sailors out from the Northeast and Central parts of the states.
One problem with that is that will most likely make it Lake sailing, which can suck, but if it's done in the late September/early October time frame there should be good chances of wind and the air/water temperature should be decent. And a couple of Club names that have been thrown around have been Birmingham Alabama, and Lake Lanier. Both VERY nice facilities with camping. The only contact so far at one of those facilities is Tom Shannon at Birmingham. Someone has mentioned they could talk to Mike Krantz for Lake Lanier. However, we don't want to talk to them yet, until we get the interest up and see what we can get.

2. Try to make it Ocean sailing. Some of the potential places would be Ocean Springs Yacht club in Mississippi, and a few others in the Florida Panhandle. One drawback to this would be NOT centrally located. The Northern people would have to drive approximately 16hrs, which I want to try to prevent. 10-12 hrs max, which would make it a good days drive. Again, there aren't too many contacts that we know of right now, but I'm sure we could work that out.

3. Do we want to start this in conjunction with another regatta? If we want to make it an annual event, we could do it either way. But, to get it started we might be better at starting out in conjunction. What are some of your all's thoughts on that?

What type of event do we want to make it? Comments have been if they have to drive a ways, at least a 3 day event. I think that's a good idea..What if we make it the first F16 North Americans or something like that?

Any other comments, suggestions, or questions? smile

Again, I'm just stirring up interest now. I'm thinking since we have the GC here in November, we should keep going while the momentum is there. I know that the GC will again be at least the same time or later next year in another country, but this could be an option for us people who can't make it to that.

Or, we could leave everything as it is. smile

Mike

Viper USA 132

1984 Hobie 18