Hi Labrador,

I used to single hand a Tiger in the Forebay by Churchill Falls so I am a bit familiar with your situation.

Personally I used to avoid strong winds but sometimes stuff happens.

In addition to the other suggestions, something I toyed with trying, but I think it may not be doable with my Tiger is a side stay extender. There's one on my friend's H-18 and he swears by it. By releasing the extender it gives you around 18" longer shroud which allows the boat to tilt towards you giving you some more leverage. Scroll down on this link
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2389

Some people put foam noodles (you get at a hardware store) on the stays around the top, to give the mast flotation. Some people get plastic bottles for the top and some buy Hobie "Bobs" for the mast. The Bob is probably the best, ugliest and most expensive and is what we have on the club cats here in Ottawa.

The proper method for righting the cat is at this Hobie link...
http://www.hobiecat.com/experience/learn.html

There used to be someone ("hobiegary: I think) that sold a device that looked like a paddle that you stuck in the daggerboard well and it allowed you to step out a distance to give you more leverage to help right it. People seem to like it but he stopped making it, not sure why, possibly legal issues.

First thing you do is release all the sail cleats on the back and let the sail free so it can release the water as it is coming up.

Honestly when the wind blows hard enough, I back off on the accelerator, because I know that righting is a major PITA. So I haven't capsized, not even to practice. Yeah I know it's wise to do it, buuuut,,,, well maybe I'll go out next season with the guys.

I have adjusted my mainsheet and traveler so that I can release them easily in a gust. The cleat has an adjuster for the angle it sits at. However I have never seen a NACRA F-18 except at a distance and then behind me. (just kidding)

Off topic a bit, but I highly recommend Rick White's videos. Someone may be able to comment on whether he has one on righting a cat.

Last edited by Frozen; 09/25/09 01:35 PM.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger