I had this same problem with my NEW N20 mast last year. My approach was a little different because I replaced the mast extrusion at the same time so I was able to attach the shop vac to the base of the mast and blow upward. Be careful not to overpressure the mast, just enough air to get some moving inside the mast. The long and short is this. The top of the mast (under the cap) is sealed with a 1/2 piece of styrofoam covered by some West 5200. My mast was sealed like crap. The foam wasn't cut well so it had a gap and the 5200 was spread so thin that it was just a big hole that let water run freely. Of course, if I wasn't so familiar with flipping, I would have never known it smile

My fix was to cut a new piece of foam using a heavy duty styrofoam lobster transport box (used to ship lobsters overnight from Maine) The fit was perfect and I resealed the whole mess with copious amounts of 5200. It worked like a charm with a dry mast since. Of course, I don't flip as much so....

The other fix was on my first mast. The former owner drilled a very small hole near the base of the mast inside of the halyard track. That way, it slowly drains out while you are sailing. If your leak is big (see above) this won't work, but for a pesky little leak, it seamed to do the trick.

Good luck

Ken Altman
"Kani Basami" N-20

Last edited by Goclaw; 10/15/09 09:33 AM.