Originally Posted by pepin
I don't want to offend you. But why in hell would you want to spend $7000 on such an outdated design?
No offense taken, a valid question.
Lets me see if I can answer that question with a few things that come to mind right off the top of my head.

Maybe because I don't want to spent 20K on the latest technology F-18/F-16 platform that can only "fleet race"at best a few times a year.

Possibly because I like a one design boat that doesn't have to be updated or replaced every few years.

Probably because I like being able to go almost anywhere in the country and race in an established class without having to wait for the race committee's calculator to tell me who won.

Maybe I like a boat with the flexibility/versatility of the Hobie 18.
A boat that I can take out with anyone from my 85 year old dad, to my 5 year old granddaughter and have still fun.
A boat that I can go race with pickup crew off of the beach and still have fun and be competitive.

I'll grant you the Original Hobie 18 is a bit dated, sedate, heavy or whatever other disparaging adjective you may choose to attach.

However, I'll stand up for the "old gray mare" and say it is a very versatile catamaran, fun to sail in almost any circumstance or condition, from single handing to day sailing to family outings. And yet, is still a very good racing platform with a strong fleet and competitive sailors.

I've raced the F-18 platform, and while it is fun and exciting and challenging on a level a step or two above the original Hobie 18, it is not a boat I can be competitive on with my wife, or my daughter, or inexperienced crew.

So, there are a few reasons I would spend the money and make the effort to "restore" a Hobie 18.

I hope I was able to make my case without offending anyone, and yet still explain why there are so many people out there that think the Original Hobie 18 is a design worth saving.

I'm not here to try and convince anyone to go back to the original Hobie 18, just to let Hobie 18 owners that peruse this forum know that there is life in the old girl yet.

Respectfully,
Stephen

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain