I like the technique of wrapping the line with electrical or duct tape prior to cutting in the center. If you are sailing immediately, you can then usually melt the concentrated newly-cut end with a butane fireplace/grill lighter sufficiently to prevent fraying until you can do a neater job later.

If you are in a wind sheltered location you can get quite artistic with the molten glob at the end, either allowing it to harden as a stopper glob or drawing it out to a hard point by twisting it against a cooler metal surface. The molten rope glob takes a surprisingly long time to cool and will preferentially drip onto exposed skin if allowed. I have developed the habit of ALWAYS licking my fingers before touching a formed end and can form whatever final shape I want with the pre-application of sufficient spit.

With some of the newer, high-tech line (like Spectra) burning doesn't work, they don't melt. For those, I keep a little can of West Marine's Whip-it. It comes with a little brush inside, like rubber cement on steroids. A tiny can will last for years and is quite handy for painting knots you don't want to slip.

Mike B.
N6.0na #282