I used to windsurf up and down Stuart/Bathtub beach areas heavily in the 90's. Great sailing location in my opinon.

There were two occasions (one in which the news helicopters followed) where large sharks came within spitting distance of shore, and their thrashing around drew a lot of attention. The one I saw was at least 10-12 feet in length and meandering up the shoreline in broad daylight. Really cool to watch (was on shore at the time, thanfully)

I agree with Karl's estimates regarding shark bite probability (and that chicks dig scars smile ), although the rebound in fish populations due to environmental conservation efforts would make it logical to presume there would be an increase in the shark populations and therefore shark-bite cases.

I guess the good thing about windsurfing was that if you were encircled by sharks, at least you could get up on your board (even the little 8'8" one could float you sitting down on it).

I had a "huge" ray (or similar creature) brush me once when I was out there. Let's just say that it was the fastest water-start I'd ever achieved.

My only other incidents involved getting a small man-o-war dropped on my chest which had me swelling up like a balloon by the time I sailed in. I think I poured vinegar (maybe ammonia?) on it, and stopped the sting instantly. Had wicked red bumpy lines all over for about 2 weeks after.

Oh, and I sailed the front edge of Hurricane Andrew on Bathtub beach with an 8'2" board and a 2.9 sq. mtr. sail (and was overpowered). Ah, to be young and stupid.... I think sustained winds were around 50 knots. But I was wearing a helmet... and it wasn't blowing offshore...

Jay