Doug

My take on it is this:

It's horses for courses. Boats are built very differently for different events. Rugged races such as Fastnet or Sydney to Hobart or Volvo Round the World attract very robust design and constructed boats. AC boats have always been built to fine tolerences to suit the conditions of the location and the expected weather. For example the boats built for Newport RI were more lightly built than the ones for Perth AUS. The problem for this event was that the venue was not predetermined when the boats were being designed/built. It seems to me that BMW/O built a set of hulls a little more oriented to rougher water/higher wind than Alinghi. But as the challenger they had to have a bet each way because they aren't in control of the venue and NOR. Alinghi on the other hand is, and built what seems to be a light wind flyer. Later developments in BMW/O like the wing and some of the steering gear are very much biased to light wind. I don't think the wing would last five minutes in 30 knots and five metre waves. In fact I wouldn't want to be on either boat in a Sydney to Hobart - but that's the point - horses for courses. I reckon Alinghi has played this game a treat so far but I hope BMW/O wins because we always go for the underdog and it's chock full of my AUS A Class mates anyway.

Cheers

Last edited by ACE11; 02/11/10 06:59 PM.