Same as righting a boat with a spinnaker.., you have to take the sail down before righting it. Easy ehough either furled or unfurled -- release the halyard and pull the sail down to the hulls -- it won't go anywhere and the boat will be able to right.

And you are correct in it looking like the Americas Cup headsails.
Calvert came up with the idea about the same time or a little sooner than I did. I remember it was in Marathon, FL race from the Bay side to the Ocean side and I was defending champ. There was little or no wind. Randy Smyth had built a funny little reacher for me and I opted to use that thinking to hug the shoreline up and back down on the ocean side, also thinking I might get some sea breezes that way.
We took off up the back side and sailed for hours. Bob Onsgard and Clive Mayo both had huge spins on their Nacra 6.0s, and had this little thing comparitively.
Bob and Clive were way out from shore. The RC decided to drop a mark and have everyone round it and return to the start line for the finish. Problem was they dropped the mark right in front of Bob. I had to beat about a 1/2 mile to get to the mark before I could use my headsail.
As I rounded the mark, I saw Clive about 50 yards behind me. I got my little sail up and patiently waited for Clive to blow by me with his big spin.
Strangely enough we were pulling away from him. Bob was over a 1/2 mile ahead and really had no idea we could catch him, but we blew by him as well and finished way ahead of the fleet.
When I told Calvert of this he was a little miffed that I discovered this new idea as well.
So, I had Dave make me a sail and we started developing that as well. That was when I wrote that article.
Randy called his a Screacher, and we had to name it something else, so we named it the Hooter (Mary's idea). Calvert did not like the name, but after all these years it seems to have stuck.

Nothing like Hooters!
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com