Of course I'm blowing my own horn here (our own horn) but the F16 framework would be a good choice for an olympic slot.

They can use the same boat in any role they want. As a mixed class, as a 2-up crew men and 2-up women class and even as a singlehanded class either mixed or seperated in boys and gals.

There will never be a need to choice any other platform ever again as this platform can indeed do all while maintaining the performance that is normally associated with the F18's or A-cats.

Personally, I feel such a development would be bad for the F16 class itself but from the perspective of the olympics it could well be the best choice available. Especially, since it doesn't display preference of one big boat builder over another !

Not to mention the fact that the F16 specs are truly modern (180 kg simply ISN'T). It is the lightest internationally established 2-up class in the world at this time. And the only internationally established 1-up class with a spinnaker; while also being challenging enough to sail well to make it a sport.

The fact that F16 class allows a carbon mast will sort out the issue of inequality in rigs as well. Just as was done in the Tornado class.

I dare say that a choice for F16 or indeed one of the individual F16's (like the Viper) wouldn't be a bad choice at all. No matter what type of crew was placed on there.

I think we can all be proud on the class that we all build together over the last 8 years !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands