What is the real world weight difference? I'd look myself, but I'm not sure where to look for the last GC stuff.

Karl,

A good rule of thumb is that fully fitted 2-up glass/alu F16's such as the US Blade and Falcon are about 3 to 6 kg above min. ready to sail 2-up weight (107 kg). First generation Blades were a bit heavier then that; later Blades like the Alter Cup Blade (and the Aussie Blades) are low in that range.

Main reason for this is that the builders figure that there is no point in producing the alu/glass version at lower weights as the upgrade to a carbon mast will lower overall boat weight by about 4.5 kg and place the boat right near to min. class weight. Going below below the min. class weight is not considered attractive.

The Vipers are quoted by AHPC as being 129 kg in 2-up mode. I remember actually some of the measured weights at the GC2009 to be around 130 kg and just over. All boats were previously sailed (both Vipers and Blades/Falcons) and it maybe logical to see them weight in a little heavier.

There are minimum weight boats around in the F16 class.

I say a good rule of thumb of the weight difference between both alu/glass boats is (on average) 130-112 kg = 18.5 kg with on average about 22.0 kg when compared to a Carbon masted/alu/glass F16.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 03/20/10 05:13 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands