I would be curious who in heaven's name would actually want to deal with airline passengers these days.

The airlines passenger of today are pretty much like the bus passenger of 1970s. Maybe business class isn't as unwashed, but still....

I think one trip I took on Midway airlines (probably defunct by now) in the mid 90's was as close to "old school" air travel as I'd ever seen. Probably an MD-80 or smaller plane (one isle, 4 seats per row, maybe 25 rows?). Domestic flight WPB - Midway (Il). Actually served a hot lunch (chicken, asparagus, mashed potatoes) on a plate with shiny silverware (probably plastic) and a hot towel after lunch. This wasn't even first class. I was impressed.

Airlines gotta make money by putting butts in seats. Can't afford those luxuries now.

Too bad rail lines can't develop a hub system like airlines and offer better travel accommodations/service. They've got to be cheaper per mile than airlines. Sure, they aren't as fast, but cruise ships aren't fast either and look what they got.

Why CAN'T you enjoy the ride anymore?

Jay