Summertime regatta (June) that draws out some of the fun folks with smaller boats, so there has been a open fleet with DPNs over 70 in the past, as well as the usual fleet of rock stars that show up around here. There is a distance race one day, and buoys the second day - I like the two day regattas, nice to leave the boat set up. A local Subway Sandwiches owner who likes sailing sponsors the event - a BIG sandwich for lunch (hence the name "White or Wheat," which used to be the first question you would hear walking through the door until they added all those other breads).

I like sailing in Santa Rosa Sound, a east-west body of water between the barrier island and the mainland - with the summer sea breeze coming from the south, the distance race is always fun. And it seems like the local fleet of hot dogs is more relaxed for the event.

I've sailed it on a Nacra 5.0 with an I-17 snuffer rig, and on the Mystere 4.3. This year did it on a Cape Horn 17' center console with a radio and GPS in my hand. Everyone should take a turn at committee - trust me, you'll learn something, and it improves your appreciation for the folks who give us a place to race. Plus, you can set your beer right in the cup holder!!!

It's been a fun pick-up style regatta with good attitudes in the past - hope it will be again. Had to sail it in Pensacola Bay this year, as the Town of Navarre Beach goes through some growing pains and we lost our beach access down there. Should all be sorted out by next summer, though - new ramp and new state park. Looking forward to that cold Corona at Juana's after sailing against the 5.0s, Hobie 17s, Hobie 16, Waves, and who knows, maybe another 4.3 will show up! Let the big dogs eat - the competition is better in the small boats for those who are mere mortals!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.