Hi everyone.

I'm still debating whether to build one of these as I save up the pennies, but have some questions about the rules.

1) Why the detail in the rig restrictions? I like the safety points and luff length restriction, but why then further detail half-mast girth measurements etc when the standard IYRU (now ISAF) sail area measurements take this into account for you and give certainty to how to measure things like tapered masts? I don't want to end up in the situation with a tapered wing mast that measures under IYRU (as the local sailmakers are happy to conform to), but might not measure under these rules due to ambiguity.

2) Did I miss something, or can I put the rudder on a nice gantry, faired into the hull to efectively extend LWL?

3) is the 50kg all up weight still effective - somewhere I read that it might be under review?

As I see it (from the persepective of an old moth and 12ft skiff sailor) there is a lot of room for flexibility in the rules (they are almost as open as A-class!) and I've been doing some sums and can't seem to get a boat I'd really like for under $5k AUD (still using a glass sandwich hull and conservative rig materials!). A fair bit of the cost is in the rig and fitout (about 3.8k). Then on top of this I have to buy a trailer, covers etc... Sure, I can take shortcuts, but I might as well push the rules and make the fastest boat I can.