Nacra John,

I wish it was that quick, cheep and easy... In fact the cost of CAD modeling and then CNC milling are on a par with building and design plugs by hand.

Just so you know... scanned data is an extremely good reference but it is far from good enough to send into production. Not to mention the fact that the scanned data isn't even a surface that can be machined. Then there is the assumption that simply scaling a hull design is what you want to do, I'd hope the designer had some improvement they wanted to implement. It is not out of the question for an engineering company to charge out at $1000 a day to get that data into a CAD model that is correct and can be machined. Unless you have those skills in house the bill can rack up pretty quick.

CNC machining for a mold is about $2000 a square meter.. the maths on that equates to roughly 15k.

I guess the one upside from you comment is that $3000 to scan a hull is an over estimate... you could get it done for about 2k.

Like anything it is all about who you know and what mate you have in different industries.

On the topic, I would be extremely interested to see NACRA come out with an F16 compliant boat. I would be interested to see if they followed our design criteria and chose for the "beefy" option or the desired to implement other materials in a minimum weight option.