Also posted on the Great Texas web site by Dave McDaniel. I thought I would post it here too...

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mike Worrell and his Family.

Having sailed on a land locked lake in North Texas for years and years - I had an awakening - OCEAN SAILING - for I had the great fortune to be part of the Great Worrell 1000 for two years running as ground crew. To see the Inter - 20's , the Sailors that Sailed those Boats , to see those that ran the Race, and to become part of that great family of ground crews moving up 13 Beach's - and to see the passion that Mike Worrell had for the event that he had made , left a great and lasting impression which I have shared with others over the years.

On one Leg of the race, Mike Worrell took time out for about 40 minutes to talk to me - one on one - it was during one of those Beautiful Ferry rides to the next Beach - somewhere on the Outer Banks of North Carolina - I will always remember that conversation, what was said, his spoken history of his sailing and the fine history of the Worrell - and his expressed deep love and respect for those Worrell Sailors currently at Sea as we both looked out on the water.

Years later , when I found out that financial problems had caused alot of hurt and sometimes vented anger - this became a real sad chapter , yet I thought he would some fine day make amends.

Yet I belive in the grand scheme of life and of challenges we meet, who amoung us would not give up an amount of their own treasure lost - to do what we have the pleasure of doing, whether racing or just fun sailing. And in this family of Beach Cat Sailing in which we so chearish and carve time out for - I am thankful that there are those like Mike Worrell who are able to push Cat Sailing so far forward, to cause so much fun, boat loads of excitement, and bring in waves of new Cat Sailors .

As a good friend once said - " Thank you Lord for the wind, the waves and the water - and the sailors that inspire our love for the three." Mike Worrell - we are thinking about you and your family down here on the Beach - take care - my Sailing Brother.

DMcDaniel
Galveston, Tx

post script - Mike Worrell, in a younger life, wore the Uniform and served his Country with Honor - I believe in the Coast Guard. Thank you Mike for that service to our Country.