Nice little write up Wouter.

The F16 class does have a lot going for it but is also exposed a little. And Timbo, FYI I have sailed F16s and sailed in an unofficial F16 AUS Nationals in early 2000s. Taipan FC also did likewise, owned an F16 and sailed it very often in F16 form. The F16 concept is something that is very appealing to me, and I am currently in the market for a new boat. Can the F16 class sell itself to me?

Perhaps the F16 class should look beyond their class as just a class, but more of a business because that is how the manufactures look at it. Do a SWOT analyses on the class to see where it really lies in the market place.

I have listed a few below, make your own list and be brutally honest with yourself.

STRENGHTS
Light weight
High Performance
Can be sailed one up or two up with reasonable close performance

WEAKNESSES
Current rule set does allow for someone to build a very expensive boat from exotic materials that would be quicker than current F16s on the market.

Fleets are very small and in isolated pockets. Boats are predominantly manufactured either by home builders or small local manufactures with the exception of AHPC. Fleets are generally made up of the local manufacturer’s product.

OPORTUNITIES
Work with the larger volume manufactures to create a truly international class. Lean on them for their experience in manufacturing, class structure, marketing and promotion to build the fleet into a class that could rival any International class.

THREATS
Volume manufactures. If AHPC can work with Nacra and Hobie to produce and promote a 125kg equivalent to the F16, lets sat they MF16 (manufacturers F16), then you may well see the MF16 become the class that will reach International status, leaving the F16 class to remain a very small isolated class like the F18HT.