Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE
Come on Wouter, there is a reason why it is called the Global Challenge and why it is not an International Class. There are not enough boats in enough countries to be an International class.

You will need to be honest with yourself if you want to grow the class.

2009 US Global Challenge
24 boats
4 non American boats, 2 of them Goodalls

2007 UK Global Challenge
13 Boats
1 non European boat

2008 NL Global Challenge
17 boats

Australian Championships, 8 boats

OK fleets, but still a lot to build on. In AUS, you do not see many F16s, let alone fleets or divisions at regattas. Sounds like it is a common scenario around the world.

In cases you have been living under a rock, "The World" is in a huge recession right now...

How many years has the Tornado class been around? 30? More? And the F18 class? At least 15 I think. So the F16 class is still in it's childhood compared to them.

If it were not for the two Alter Cup regattas being sailed on F16's (Blades and Vipers) here in the states, there wouldn't be half as many boats sold. Maybe you guys in "other parts of he World" should work on a similar system, where a single manufacturer supplies 10 brand new boats for a championship, then sells the boats afterwards. Seems to help jump start every class here in the States, be it Caps, Vipers, Blades, Infusions, what ever, it's a good shot in the arm.

What makes any of you non-F16 guys think the F16's "goal" is to Rule the World anyway? The boat is what it is, as Wouter and Kirt told you in another post. It filled an unfilled void that existed at the time. I don't see it taking over the world. If it does, fine, but that's not a stated goal. There are plenty of other classes for that, right now it seems the F18 is the weapon of choice for world wide domination, Good on them. If I had regular crew, I'd probably get one. When my kids are gone, I'll probably get an A cat. So what? If the F16 fits your style, price range, fleets near you, today, get one. If you don't like the F16 rule set, move on. But to be an outsider and try to change the class' rules for...who? Hobie? Nacra?

Most of the real trouble makers here don't even sail F16's. I guess it's not good enough, or "World Wide Enough" or Nacra enough, or Hobie enough for them, which is part of the draw for those of us who actually own and race them...Now, get over it, stay on your F18 or Tornado, or What have you, but don't come in here just because you like to stir up sh!t.

I wish -some people- would stop trying to make all classes "the same". Variety is the spice of life. Not every crew will -fit- on every boat. There are many different active racing classes, from Hobie 16's up through I-20's, and depending on where you live, where the nearest fleet of...what ever... is, how much time and money you have to invest, etc., you should get a boat that fits you and go sail it, and get off our board. In this sh!tty world wide recession, we should all be grateful there are ANY new boats being sold!

Blade F16