Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Dan.... Would you care to comment on the upcoming F18 starts and how appropriate a rabbit start might be...

The F18's and the 16's are the only US fleets large enough to warrant a switch. (assuming the politics of a change could be worked out)

It would take quite a bit to get used to from what we are doing now. Upside is there is no second row starters unless a bunch of boats try to go behind the Rabbit all at the same time. The 505s have been doing it forever and they seem to like it okay. I am not familiar enough with it to know what the leeward boat tries to do to the windward boat.

We can start 7 boats in practice racing with a Rabbit and it works out well. We all know that we are all even after the start so we can work on boatspeed and handling.

I like the dynamics of a gate style start-line that may be a bit skewed depending on conditions, may not be quite big enough for everyone to get a good start, and which you have to make many determinations before the start.

I think the Rabbit will lead to a "fairer" start for more boats though. This method would be good for people not accustomed to big fleet starts.

I have done both and it comes down to "I just want to race".

Later,
Dan