Nothing broken but for good luck only.

It would have been a nice, though a little cold (New Years Day in New Jersey) sail in the bay but for a small problem.

We had launched the boat and were suiting up on the beach when the crew says, "Where's the boat?" "Right over there" says I pointing about a half mile out and down the beach. Under nothing but the mast, it was on a starboard tack and making about 2 kts. The GPS was on the boat but unfortunately not on. I was amazed at how well it was sailing.....about 90 degrees to the wind, a nice beam reach and steady as she goes. The rudders were in the up position but the boat was still well balanced. She seemed to have a destination in mind and was doing a fine job of sailing but her crew were not in the plan.

There was a large New Year's party going on a deck overlooking the scene. The boat provided a good deal of entertainment as it's not something you see every day. They decided to call the marine patrol and the coast guard because they thought that there might be some humans involved somewhere. Luckily they saw us, wetsuit, harness and PFD clad and boatless and made the connection before they got the Coast Guard.

The revelers kept a glass on the boat and suggested a way of retrieving her. To make a long story short; the boat put ashore about 2 miles from the ramp on an island that was accessible after a rather arduous drive, hike, wade....

We rigged the boat and the crew did the wade, hike, drive back to the ramp. I received a totally undeserved standing ovation from the party as I soloed the boat back to the beach.

I am sending this story to an old Air Force buddy of mine as he had a similar experience with an Air Force Fighter. You can see and read about it in the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.

Attached Files
27549-Img_1055.jpg (61 downloads)