Way back when, the advice was "sail the headed tack first". Supposedly that yields a shorter distance traveled and can be proven trigonometrically. But not by me!

Gil, there is some subtlety we mortals are missing. Way back, maybe 1985, I was sailing a big fleet of H-16s and had the second start in B fleet. I watched the A fleet start and noticed two boats get hit by the same puff. One was lifted radically the other headed by the same amount! From the same puff! I noticed the same phenomenon at Wildcat but was unable to capitalize on it.

Again at Wildcat, I managed to beat Tback in one race (one stinking race all weekend!) From a position even at A mark, he sailed off into an area of low wind. I stayed in the middle of the lake, and got so much wind I almost pitchpoled. I finished so far ahead of him he thought I'd quit and gone in! My decision had merely been to split tacks and pray for luck, which happened.

Neither Robbie nor JC were in the very light stuff for very long during the entire weekend. They always managed to find enough wind to stay well ahead. I'd just like to know how and would bet money it is something very simple that they aren't even conscious of.

Last edited by pgp; 10/07/10 04:33 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.