Originally Posted by waynemarlow

No thats not quite the case, all the development cost has now been spent on the F20, to integrate that knowledge now into a slightly smaller boat is very minimal and it would spread the cost over more boats.

Wayne, If you seriously think that the development done on the F20 foils will negate any development costs for a curved foil for an F16 then i'm sorry to tell you this: You have no idea what you are on about!

With modern CNC mills cutting out the moulds, its almost irrelavent whether the board is curved or straight and equally the cost is not significantly higher to produce, a mould is a mould.

I can tell you from experience that the cost to build a mold for a curved board is a much more complex process and the costs are a lot higher in all steps, design, billet, cutting time, finishing, and even foil production. If you have a cheaper way then please let me know..

One thing for sure the performance of the F16's is only going to be marginally better with curved boards and greater gains could be found in other functions of design.

And you base this assumption on your extensive experience with both straight and curved foils?? I can tell you from my time with both foils that there is nothing in current technology that makes as much difference to the performance of a boat that the change from straight to curved foils. If all else is equal (ie sail area and dimensions of the boat etc) then the curved foils make a bigger gain in performance than any other feature.