Sorry guys and gals, but the lovefest was a little too much. I have to chime in after reading the Smyth fan mail. My experience has been negative. After buying sails from Randy over the years, I had to switch because of his failure to respond. When I received no respone to emails and calls, I checked with a few friends and found out he cannot deliver in a reasonable time and is often too busy to pay attention to his business, a least for the smaller guy. There is no doubt that he designs fast sails, and I know you can't rush quality (fast food!). Also, while Randy has always farmed out the actual sailmaking of most of his sails to other lofts ever since he moved to Florida, I was told he now designs the sails and has them made overseas in the far east. (I suspect he makes some of them in his own loft.) I don't want to get into a political debate about that but I don't like it, and for a lesser price I'd rather have my sails made in the good ol' USA.

I have recenty ordered and received sails from Calvert, and have gotten excellent sails with superior build quality and great shape. Before ordering I actually talked with Calvert at length about materials and shapes. I had my sails within 5 weeks, made in Calvert's own loft.

I am sure there are many satisfied Smyth customers, and if you can wait I assume his end product is good, but there are other alternatives out there.