Originally Posted by bvining
I dont see how Randy will do 15 plus days on sew sew.

Did anyone other than the Russian do this on a cat in past years?

Ultimate Florida was ran twice, in 2006 and in 2010. Next one is planed for 2012, it will be bi-annual event, seems like Watertribe reached flash point for enough crazy people to sustain the race.
There are 11 people finished the race so far, two of them did it twice.
All but two finishers did it in canoe/kayak of one type or another.
Matt the Wizard did it in capsular self righting unsinkable monohulls "Enigma" (12 ft long, 180 lbs, 4 ft wide) in 2006, and her smaller sister Elusion ( 9 ft long) in 2010

I did it on inflatable catamaran of Russian origin. 15 ft long, 6.5 ft wide, about 100 sq ft upwind sail area, 170 downwind. weighted at check-in last time I flied with the boat at 180 lbs fully packed in three bags. The boat was lighter for this challenge, I guess somewhere around 170 lbs.

Pelican took Hobie Adventure Island tandem trimaran all way to portage this year, He dropped out there (He finished 2006 challenge with canoe). He dropped out because he was running out of time, he didn't have full month available and he had number of misfortunes on the trip. Boat was heavy too, however he was sure he could bring it all way around if he had enough time.

I and Pelican by-passed upper 30 miles of St. Marys river on land, opting out for a longer portage. This option is no longer available.

St. Marys river is navigatable on sailboat for about 60 miles. It is tidal river, current reverses or stops twice a day for about 70 miles. There is one low bridge, but other than that it can be paddled, rowed or sailed relatively easy. On my second day on the river I ran into stiff headwinds, so I was tacking every 30 seconds all day long smile

Upper 30 miles of the river is a nightmare even for kayakers.
Stiff current, low branches, shoals,strainers, deadwoods.

Portage is about 40 miles long, flat with very low divider half the way it is slight uphill, half way - downhill.
It is active two line road, with soft shoulder, Traffic is not heavy but cars and tracks are there.

Then you have about 220 miles of Suwannee river, first 80 miles are not sailable.
Full course overview is here
http://watertribe.com/Events/UltimateFloridaChallenge/Default.aspx

Overall, Cross Florida Stage from Fort Clinch on east coast to Cedar key on west coast is about 390 miles. Best paddling time for this stage is 6 days. My time was 10 days.