Happy New Year!!

Thought I’d post as I have not posted for some time. Few months ago after my return from the Mediterranean I started working on the TMS-20. I was excited again to be working on the project and was making some progress when sh!t happened. My son shelled the engine in his Jeep. Not really his fault the Jeep is 22 years old and it was the original build - it had a little knock over 3000 rpm so I knew it was ready for a rebuild. My son turned the engine off as soon as it made a new noise and saved the engine, I guess he learned something from me after all. We decided to tear it down after pricing long blocks to see how bad it was. Number 6 rod bearing was just a wafer and it finally spun allowing the piston to slap the head. We also found the timing gear has broken teeth and the plastic over the metal teeth was for most part gone. I’m surprised the thing even ran and didn’t tear up worse instead of just being worn out.
I found a really good automotive machine shop in Ft Lauderdale that does excellent work for a fair price. I sent the block, head, and flywheel out to be machined and left town again with work. I took a few days before the holidays and this week off, while on call for jury duty, to build the engine. Since it was a major overhaul I decided to pump up the engine some. For the Motorhead’s - I had it bored, mild cam, Weber 38 outlaw, DUI strip/street distributor, and removed all the smog crap (no state inspections in FL)! Everything in it is new except a re-machined crank and rods were line bored / pinged. Also with the DUI distributor I can by-pass the computer. Finished building the engine today and I’ll be ready to drop it in Friday. Once the Jeep is on the road and dialed in I’ll be able to start working on the TMS-20 again.
Happy New Year to all and may 2011 be the best sailing! I plan to launch TMS-20 in 2011 as long as Murphy’s Law stays away.
Mike

Attached Files
Last edited by TheManShed; 12/30/10 06:09 PM.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's