Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Do you think the wording needs some work... or can the case book clarify this point.... (I hope it's the case book)

I'm not aware of any authoritative reference (e.g. ISAF case) on this scenerio. It would be nice to have. Perhaps if such a situation were to go to an appeal, we'd get a ruling. In the meantime, I think it can be useful to approach rule interpretations backwards from time to time. That is, the "tack or cross" gambit is a common and accepted part of the sailing game. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to apply the rules in such a way that prohibits a port-tack boat from using it. That approach leads me to the opinion I gave earlier. Maybe some other judges think the rules need revision, but I'm ok reading them as I do currently.

Originally Posted by David Parker
I am confused here. If port-starboard conflicit is immenent and port asks tack-cross? and starboard says cross, what would you do as port? Wouldn't you assume it was YOUR job to duck the S boat? Why did S duck P? Seems like a recipe for disaster! If S wanted to keep going up wouldnt' they just yell "starboard" just keep going?

This situation doesn't really come up much in catamaran racing. Boatspeeds and tacking times make the lee-bow an impractical maneuver for cats. It's more of a keelboat tactic. Picture two boats beating to windward on opposite tacks. Boat "S" is on starboard tack, and "P" on port. As they approach, it becomes apparent that P is a little ahead, but not quite far enough to cross S.

P calls out "Tack or cross?" This is really a bit of a threat. P is essentially saying "if you don't let me cross, I'm going to tack on your lee bow - what's it going to be?" Another boat's weather hip is a bad place to hang out for most boats. If P were to successfully tack on S's lee bow, S would be in an untenable position. She would have to tack away.

Therefore, S needs to decide where she'd like to go. If she wants to head back to the right side, she can hail "tack", "starboard", or even say nothing at all. Then when P tacks, S can tack too. If S wants to keep going left, her best option may be to reply "cross", and bear away (or slow down) so that P has enough room to make it.

Once P has hailed "tack or cross", she is bound by S's response. If S says "tack" and P ducks, or if S says "cross" and P tacks, then P breaks rule 2 "FAIR SAILING". Therefore, P should only use this gambit if she wants to go right, but is willing to tack and leebow S if necessary. If P wants to go left, she should simply tack. If she really wants to go right, perhaps she should just duck and hope S doesn't tack on her wind. P only gets an advantage when she wants to go right and S wants to go left.

I hope that helps,
Eric