Originally Posted by TEH
No, its all good. If I had to rename the thread, I'd call it something like Safe Offshore Uni Sailing. I'm considering all the options put on the table and find humor in the "boat getting away from me" stories. I just started with VHF because that's the first option I considered.

On the line bag thingy - looks like the throw bag you can get from West Marine (theirs rated tops in Practical Sailor awhile ago). You hold onto the end of the line and heave the bag at the COB. The line floats, the whole thing can repacked, would also work the way you're looking at the other one (looks almost identical).

West Marine throw bag

On the radios - I tend use the Icom ones. Currently I use the IC-M72. I got that one because it has a little more power and is waterproof to a higher standard. I got this one when I mistakenly thought my IC-M88 had gone bad. It turned out to be the battery pack. I had considered the floating ones but found them to be to bulky to fit easily into my life jacket pocket. I figure the ways things go on a cat or a tri that even if the radio floats I wont be able to find it once I turn around. I usually hook the strap to life jacket anyway. Anyway, I find those radios to be reliable and tough.