OK, This is more of a 2 part situation.

When two boats approach a mark and are within a few boat lengths, the outside one has
to give room to the inside one to round the mark. I understand they are allowed a proper
rounding, but nothing more. The outer boat only needs to give enough room for the inner
boat to get around the mark and nothing else. They can't push the inner boat into the mark,
but if the inner boat touches the outer boat and the outer boat has given the inner boat enough
room, they have fouled the outer boat. Is this a proper understanding of the rule?

Then, how about this scenereo: A boat is approaching on starboard and will be the inner boat,
the (soon to be) outer boat is on port. The outer boat (still on port) must give right of way
PERIOD even if the starboard boat (still closer to the mark) sails past the mark and does not
round it, right? I mean, the port boat may be trying to make the mark, but he can't assume the
starboard boat will try to make a close mark rounding?

This is why I ask:

I'm positive I didn't have any rights from a simple port/starboard situation, but I think the other
boat pulled a dangerous maneuver.

I was the Port boat--very close to rounding the gate and continuing on port. Facing downwind, this
was the left gate, so I was coming in the center of the gates and hanging a left. I was on an A cat
and a spinnaker boat on Starboard came in to the mark from the left with the spin up. I couldn't hear
what he was saying, all I heard was 'Mark.' His layline was dead even with both marks, so he was
coming in at 90 degrees. I assumed he would be rounding the close mark (that he
was about to pass) and wanted room, but I saw a red flag in that he was REALLY close and didn't look
like he was even thinking about snuffing his spin. I thought he would try to round the mark and do it
all at one time since it was light wind. Turns out, he sailed very close to the left gate, in between
the gates and rounded the right one! I had to slam over to starboard and basically stall for him to
pass me, then I jibed back to port and rounded the mark.

Now, I'm thinking that wasn't a good move on his part and that he could have caused a lot of damage by
not considering what was going on at the mark. I think he had all the rights in the world, but it was
a thoughtless, **** move!?

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15