I have a hooter/screecher on Flight Risk, and when all three sails are drawing, my main is travelled out less than a quarter of the distance between centered and fully out. The jib is trimmed last, to get it's telltales flowing, and it's travelled out fully and sheeted fairly flat(Oh, I missed that you're uni, disregard). I use the screecher from about 90 degrees to 120 true wind direction, it's not very efficient deeper, and it's not sheeted inboard enough to go to weather with(It's a very wide boat). Snuffable soft spins run much deeper. On my boat it's got a very narrow power window between collapsing and stalling, so I'm intensely focussing on reading the lower telltales on the screecher to keep it powered up. I tend to set the sails and drive to them, which is a gas! When I drive well, it's an awesome ride!
Furl early when wind strength rises. If furled while flogging it can roll up ugly(hard on the sail fabric), or too tightly, and you run out of furling line(at least on mine).
I love this sail, but I rarely have a destination, so I can reach about looking for max boatspeed. If you need to go downwind a lot, a spin is faster.
Dave

Last edited by davefarmer; 07/11/11 12:45 AM.