Well, I found a replacement mast for the one I broke on my Stiletto 27. However, the guy who has it can only get it from Florida to Bismarck, North Dakota.

I'll travel from Salt Lake City, Utah to pick it up.

I just finished checking with the Highway Patrol and this is what I discovered.

I can transport the 38 foot mast, like the big rigs transport long stuff.

They use a what is called a "tow trailer".

I can lash one end of the mast (or the bigger piece of the broken mast) to the tongue and bed of a very small flat bad trailer. The other end is lashed to a tow bar.

The result is that the mast itself becomes a "tongue extension" to the trailer.

All that is then required is to add some wiring extensions.

Towing it behind our Corolla (40-45 mpg) or Matrix (30-35 mpg) should provide an economical way to transport the mast.

A Highway Patrol officer said that would be the same as towing any 38 foot boat or trailer. However, transporting only the mast (by itself on a very small flatbed) is a very light tow.

The Highway Patrol officer said that this approach is legal and required no special permits or hassles.

He advised that I install some clearance lights, at intervals, between the tow trailer and the tow vehicle.

That will alert other drivers to the fact that the tow trailer and tow vehicle are connected.

The extra lights should help prevent cars from errantly cutting in, just after the tow vehicle passes.

Traveling from Salt Lake City to Bismarck and back to get this mast will already cost a round trip of 2,400 miles and 35 hours hours of driving, plus the cost of the mast.

Any thoughts....about this method of transporting the mast or anyother way to get it from there (Bismarck, North Dakotato Salt City?

Just in case you're wondering, a trucking company already bid it at over $2,000 and this trip will cost me about ten tanks of gas at 10 gallons per fill up.

In the bargain I get to see the sights between SLC, Utah and Bismarck, North Dakota...and that's gotta be good...right..??????

Last edited by tomthouse; 07/28/11 12:21 PM.