New Thread
We have all bought sailing gear because it looked cool or the ad was good and then discovered it was anouther POS in a cool box, what gear did you try this year that worked and what was best used to start the bonfire. Extra Points for any good bubba tests you conducted by accident.

Worked:

The yellow Naugahyde boat cover was at least a 4 star success. It held up. it’s looking dirty but there is no sign of sun damage or fraying. This time last year the white poly was turning to dust. It keeps the boat dry and clean. No sign of mildew and dust does not filter through it. It was cheap. Ugly yellow UV resistant Naugahyde brand fabric was about the same price as good white poly on eBay. The only problems were that sharp things under it will puncture it (You must reinforce it over anything sharp) and it is completely waterproof so you need drain holes over the tramp. The little ones clogged so I ended up with 4 ~1/2” ID eyes.

I think I finally have a boat cover tie down system that I like. I have been trying for years to find a quick and easy system for attaching a boat cover. This year I sewed a webbing loop to each side. On the inside loop I attached a loop of 1/8 bungee. On the outside I sewed a big 1 ½-2 inch button to the end of the webbing loop. Pull the bungee over the button and you are done. Slip it off the button and you are done. On the stern I have 2 bungee loops. One goes under the hull and the other through the rudder casting. That keeps the cover right where I want it. You may be thinking, “I don’t want to go to the fabric store and paw around through the bargin stuff looking for cheap giant buttons, how about a ball on the end of the bungee and just slip it through the webbing loop on the other side?” I tried that last year and it turns out slipping the ball through the webbing loop, in the dark, 1 beer over your limit, is hard, takes a long time and people walk up and ask what you are doing.

The Croc sandals work. Last winter I bought some Croc river shoe/sandals with hiking boot looking soles. I bought them at 2 pair for $18 at the outlet store as throwaway sailing shoes. Turns out they are comfortable with socks, they have traction on mildew and duck sh*t covered concrete boat ramps (they dig through the goo) and they are nice and soft for trapping.

Ronstan Sailing Watch – Going on 6 years, BIG numbers, and you can change the battery yourself

Didn’t Work

5 finger water shoe. They were ok at first but then I discovered when I sat on the hull with my heels on the tramp, they slipped and all my toes ended up trying to go in the big toe finger. Next time I wore them, I caught my little toe on a shroud. I now use them to look stylish at the party after the race.