Good question
Originally I proposed a 320lbs boat. Why? Because there is no reason in this day and age that a 20 ft boat should have to weigh 400 lbs. I picked 320 because it's 100lbs lighter than my old 6.0 I sailed. Everyone knows how painful it is to move boats around the beach and truthfully this weight issue keeps people from sailing. Just ask the F16 guys how much they miss their heavy boats. There was so much criticism of this detail that we compromised at 350. Ideal? Not at all. Keep in mind the rule set is designed to get the class started and the interested parties have the chance to ammend/change the rules in a year.

Crew weight? I recommended no limit. Look at the original set. Again, there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth over this so we included the minimal weight. Ideal? No. I don't want to pull out scales but if some smart butt wants to race his 20 with his 1 yr old daughter and call it 2-up then this rule calls them on it. You know how these boats perform in even 10 kts of wind they like some weight on the wire.

I hope we can get past the rhetoric and work through the real questions that matter to the class. I am fully aware there are plenty of people that have strong emotional opinions on this issue but that doesn't mean we don't evolve the class. It's been discussed for years and shot down because no one has been up for the task. Our small consortium is trying to make some happen. If sailors don't want to support then that is their prerogative but I ask that if they don't want to participate please don't try and derail our efforts. Please be a part of the discussion. We all love saili g and want to see our sport thrive. We just have different opinions how that should happen.

Thank you for your questions. I'm very willing to discuss every detail in the rule set.

Capt Cardiac
Ocean Springs Yacht Club
Sailor
Nacra20 - Flight of Ideas #5