I just looked a jon boat 2 weeks ago. I didn't make him take me out on the water with it (but i wish i had). It looked good, he talked a good game (said it was recently and often used by his son, they were looking for a bigger boat for more people etc). One tire was almost flat, so i filled it with my portable air compressor.

the lights were not working, there was a missing bulb visible and some broken wires.

I purchased it regardless, but i also have a welder friend who told me what to look for and assured me that we/he could repair most any small issues with a jon boat)

I did not get more than 1 mile down the road before the trailer tire was shredded and off the rim. I had to park it and go to the local walmart and get a replacement. When i got home i worked on the lights, they were rigged incorrectly and could have never worked as wired.

I have yet to put it in the water (tomorrow), but i would not be surprised if there are ... more surprises.

Had we met at the water... he would have had to replace the tire (instead of me), and it would have been more apparent the lights didn't work at all (not a big deal, but just extra money and time i had to spend instead of him)

I stand by my suggestion of trying to get a boat in the water (especially one with dozens and dozens of little specialty parts), or dry rigged at the least before making a purchase so you know what you are getting. Buyer beware

Last edited by MN3; 11/02/11 08:42 AM.