I'm not familiar with the A-Cat class rules, so I can't comment on their specific application.

RRS 1.2 "Life-Saving Equipment and Personal Flotation Devices" states: "A boat shall carry adequate life-saving equipment for all persons on board, including one item ready for immediate use, unless her class rules make some other provision...". In my opinion, "item ready for immediate use" is intended to mean a lifering, horseshoe, or other throwable device rigged at the ready. If the class rules don't specify otherwise, I think that means a throwable is required.

The US SAILING prescription to RRS 40 says "...every boat shall carry life-saving equipment conforming to government regulations that apply in the racing area...". In the USA, that includes USCG-approved PFDs, throwables on boats over 16ft, and other national, state, and local requirements. I realize that US SAILING doesn't want to be involved with the PFD certification issue, but as a judge, I really dislike being in the position of interpreting the law. That's not my area of expertise.

In previous versions, there used to be a rule limiting radio communication, but it was dropped as the issue is covered by RRS 41 "Outside Help".

Again, I understand why classes might want to prohibit radios, but I think rule 41 covers the real problem.

Rule 1.1 "Helping Those in Danger" states "A boat or competitor shall give all possible help to any person or vessel in danger". "All possible" includes phoning or radioing for assistance. If class rules or sailing instructions prohibited use of phones while racing, and a boat was disqualified for using it to aid someone, I would consider that grounds for redress.

I hope that helps,
Eric