Back when I had my I20, I trailered with my spin halyard still rigged on the mast. When I got to the regatta and looked it over, I could see it had chafed against the spreaders/mast connection, enough so that I didn't trust it not to fail during the regatta. Luckily Ding had a spare spin halyard and leant it to me, but for the reason of chafing, I don't trailer with soft lines attached to the mast anymore. (and thanks again Ding, I still owe you beers for that!)

The trap wires and shrouds/forestay, I will coil and tie to the tramp for a short drive, so they don't fall off or chafe, but no soft lines in the 75mph breeze for me anymore!

The reason I don't leave everything out on a long drive is, 'road grime' gets all over everything. Ever take a close look at your hulls after you've been folowing a Semi truck spewing...what ever? Or after driving through rain? That crap is now all over your hulls, and everything else that's not in the box.

This past Tradewinds, I was driving down rt.27 through central Florida to Miami, through Sugar Cane Country (Clewiston, etc.) while they were harvesting the sugar cane and buring the fields. When I got to Islemorada, I noticed my boat (which I had just waxed the day before) was covered with black, sticky smoke/dust residue from the sugar cane field fires, as the smoke was blowing across the road.

I was really glad I'd stripped off just about everything else and had it all in the box, but I had to wash the boat all over again! And the mast, and the spreaders and diamonds, but not all the trap and shroud wires.

Blade F16