Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
First time I've seen both spin blocks on the front beam. Looks like the blocks closest to the chute's clew can slide independently outboard to "open" up the chute.

Pic

would having the spin block on the beam like that shorten the foot of the spinnaker?

No most spinny's have now been limited to min foot length by the definition of what is a spinnaker and what is a reaching sail( see SCHRS for definition )ie we are all at min foot length already due to the apparant wind requiring very flat sails. By choice I would be even flatter if the handicap system would allow it.

On the Cirrus I would suspect they have moved the front beam back as per A Class design and kept the max 3.5m spinny pole and thus the blocks have to go as far foward as possible.

This is excactly what I found on my boat which was derived from an A design and was rather unpleasantly surprised to have to move the spinny blocks foward onto the beam. I am looking at chopping the spinny pole some 300mm or so to get some sort slot effect back from the Spinny back onto the main. Do we need the pole at max length on these boats ?

The downsides of moving the beams back are lack of crew operating room and more reliance on volume way back to cover the crews weight,the upsides are less volume needed up front and if the pole is cut, less uplift from the Spinny.