Karl, I owe you a couple beers!

I was out on my boat earlier today, wind was light and puffy. I had the spin up going downwind when a puff came along and I thought, "Hey, I should get out on the wire and see how high I can point..."

Well, long story (T-Bagging) short, I pulled the boat over on top of me.

After snuffing the spin, releasing the main, traveler, downhaul, etc. I went out to the bow to get it to spin into the wind, as we have been discussing above. When it was there, I went out to the end of my daggerboard (full down possition) hooked into my righting line and leaned back and waited.

The mast tip was about a foot underwater when I began...it came up to the surface, then about a foot above the water, then it just sat there. I was looking upwind, hoping a puff would come along and help me, but there was none to be had.

THEN it hit me! Karl said if he put his arm above his head it worked...so I put my right arm up over my head, stretched it all the way out...and the mast came up another foot. So I put my left arm up, all the way out...and slowly, inch by inch, the mast started moving up, out of the water.

It took about 5 minutes, from swimming to back upright, but it worked!

So Karl, I owe you a few cold ones for that righting tip!

I never knew my arms were that 'heavy' but I guess when it's right on the edge, every little bit helps!

Oh, and my righting line has small loops, one at each end, so I can hook it to my trap and put both 'hands up' when standing at the very end of the dagger board, so that helped. Of course if I'd had a full beer in each hand...hey, there's an idea!

Blade F16