Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by mini
Originally Posted by Will_R
No reason that this wouldn't work except for practicality. You'll have to displace more water than you have air to remove for it to work. It's basic fluid dynamics.

The difficulty as I see it would be the volume of air to be removed relative to the amount of water you are able to "drop". i.e. once you've pulled all the vacuum that you can with the water, it may not be enough to remove the air from the carbon/resin and produce a vacuum of sufficient quantity if at all.

In order to pull 1 atmosphere of vacuum with water you need 33 feet. Not very practical. Not sure I understand your description of the system, but as mentioned it must be closed.

It isn't that I doubt you, but how do you know that? Would a 33' coil work?

I'm considering a very small volume and considering using Luer lock, standard I.V. equipment. In fact, I was thinking of an i.v. bag on a pole.

That is a basic SCUBA concept, every 33' you go down the pressure increases by 1atm, so no a coil will not work to create that additional atm you would need a column of water. To elaborate on Jake's idea, the idea of a one-way valve on the bag and attaching the bag to an anchor in 33' of water comes to mind (try this on something replaceable first) with the valve pointing up so you don't get an air bubble.

Brian C.
H14
H16