Hello all,

So I'm a fairly raw beginner when it comes to cats. I have had some experience sailing on cats, 420's and keelboats but these all belonged to someone else. Last summer I bought a 2001 Nacra F18 and it's been great fun. Sailed it a few times last season under the main and jib only, just to get a feel for the boat. I had to replaced what I believe was the original spinnaker this year and have had the boat out several times with the spin up. It all seems to be working correctly, and I am blown away by the power.

When I have had the spin up it seems awfully hard to hand hold the spin sheet. I believe I have the sheet routed correctly. The two blocks that it goes through (per side) are ratcheting units and I think I've got them oriented correctly. I have only used it under relatively light winds, under 10 knots. In stronger winds I'm having trouble imagining hand holding it for long. My crew usually does this and his hands are suffering. Is this how it's usually done? Does anyone cleat this line?

There is a MKII infusion at my club and the dealer told him not to cleat this line under any circumstances. I'm guessing this is for safety, so you can drop it at the first sign of trouble.

All input appreciated.

Thanks, Duncan