Saturday after racing, with boats tied up on the beach at Lake Townsend, a storm rolled in. It picked up Joleen's Isotope and tossed it upside down on top of a Hobie 16 and then dragged both boats across a cement ramp. Although the Isotope came out on top, both boats were damaged.

The isotope mast broke and the boat has some fiberglass damage. The Hobie forestay broke, the mast is dented and slightly bent. The masthead cap pulled off the comptip, breaking it out where it was riveted.

We know how to fix the Isotope, but I have some questions about the Hobie 16. How long is a H16 forestay supposed to be? I can make a new one out of 1/8" wire or Amsteel. Is there a preferred material? Should I reglass the end of the comptip and reinstall the masthead sheave bracket in the existing holes, or can I just drill new holes and rivet in different locations? What size dent and how much s-bend can a H16 tolerate? I've been looking around for a replacement mast. Does anybody know where I might be able to pick up a decent one at a reasonable price?

I haven't priced a new Isotope mast extrusion yet. If it's much more than I recall, then I might just part the boat out (or another one that I have). The Hobie 16 is a borrowed boat, and we feel obligated to repair it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric