Hobie 17 and 18 North American Championships
Cottonwood Cove Resort, Lake Mohave, NV
October 21-26, 2012

On Saturday the 20'th, i was kite boarding at 6-mile on lake Mohave ; it was blowing
near 30mph all day and i got in the water at 8:30am. 6-mile is located on the main body
of the lake about 5 miles south of cottonwood cove.

Saturday should have bin a practice day for the competitors and i saw about (2) cat's that
ventured down the main part of the lake all day. One was most probably Gordo who i've seen
out signal-handed on his Hobie 21 in over 30 before, the other was a guy with his daughter
who didn't seem to mind the wind either , on their H -18 .

SO -- Here is the question :

I'm guessing that the competitors thought the wind was a bit TO0oo brisk to be safe for the
amount of sail aria on their boats ; so wouldn't having the ability to Reef-In the sails for
a smaller sail aria be a "Safe" option for even the small cats like the 17 and 18's ?

I brought this up in the past, and my 21-se is about to have this option simply because
it's Not safe to be on a lake like Mohave without this ability because the wind
can/has gone primal on what should have bin a mellow day, and it does this
a Lot !

I can see "Limiting" the sail aria for the Max allowed to make things fair ; but the captain should
be allowed to Reduce his aria to what ever he feels is Safe for the current conditions, even in a Race !!

Bille