Vestas Sailrocket 2 sets new speed record of 59kts

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Vestas-Sailrocket-2-sets-new-speed-record-of-59kts/103850

Vestas Sailrocket Project Leader and Pilot, Paul Larsen, discusses how he and the crew have now achieved a record setting pace.

The new mark was set in Walvis Bay, Namibia with a new hydrofoil package. The ratified record stands at 55.65 knots (64 mph) and is held by American Kite Surfer Rob Douglas.

Paul Larsen reports:

The title says it all. It's just soaking in now... with the Champagne.

Calling friends, team members... all are family tonight.

I'm sitting here with great French champagne all around and smiling people. Vestas Sailrocket 2 sits outside on the lawn shivering lightly in the decreasing breeze. She has the noble composure of a race winning horse that struts around wondering what all the fuss is about.

We are downloading the Trimble data now. The great thing is that the GPS we use out there is set for a 18 second average... but at 59 knots we might not need that long. It said we did a 59.01 knot average... The Trimble should be higher. I will let you know here when I know.

I think I'll drink some more Pol Roger... and wait.

Christ... I'm buzzing and I know it is just going to get better. I will have this for life now.

There it is 59.23 knot average fresh off the Trimble. 62.53 peak.

Records subject to WSSRC ratification.

I'm signing out.

I have too many people to thank I don't know where to start.

I have to call mum and dad.

The happiest days!

Still more to come.

Vestas Sailrocket website

by Paul Larsen