Rick thanks again for organizing this, great venue and great regatta overall. I think I'm on at least 6 or 7 years in a row and it's big commitment from up here!
Jake, I get MLK day off and I'm in the marine industry. I think it's just more common in the North... hmm.
As I mentioned, great job by everyone but I'd like to point out a few issues I had heard numerous others mention but didn't say anything on here.
1) Entry fee spike - Last year was what, $65? A $40 increase? I was really surprised by that.
2) RC seemed to lack confidence, I couldn't believe it was the same RC as last year. For instance,
-starting a race with a extremely unsquare line in numerous races and not postponing to restart. There were at least 3 starts you couldn't cross the line on starboard.
-not calling a race where the windwark mark and the leeward mark were basically one tack fetches.
-sailing us in extremely light air to a point it was unfair racing
-Waiting for all boats to finish before starting the sequence, we wasted lots of time watching boats finish in other fleets while our fleet had been finished for a long time. The whole point of a separate finish line is so you can start before all boats have finished isn't it?
-Upwind offset, most of the regatta we had to sail upwind and some even had to tack to make the offset. This is pointless and also requires us to raise our chute while still going upwind and can easily tear the spinnaker.
-Moving the pin after prep flag up. We watched the pin being moved to 3:30 prior to the start on one occasion. Start should have been re-done.
-One complaint I heard but I disagree with is starting on time on Monday with less than half the fleet. I don't have a problem with the RC starting without everyone there on Monday, it was our fault and I actually think it was a good move on their part for starting on time.

Overall, we come a long way for fair races, no one (except maybe whoever is in the lead) will complain by calling off an unfair race even well after the start. It needs to be done!
Again, I apologize for highlighting the negatives but there were certainly a ton of positives. I know it was shifty and light but I'd certainly like to see a more proactive and confident race committee in the future.

Last edited by wildtsail7; 01/28/13 08:03 PM.