Originally Posted by rattlenhum
My 2 cents..

May be mistaken, but I believe Hobie tramps are all vinyl..one style is just solid while the other is mesh.

This is public service announcement, so people do not forget.

Hobie mesh appears to be vinyl covered polyester. The Hobie solid tramp is vinyl covered polyester, the brand name is something like Seconite. It pretty and easy on the knees. The vinyl starts wearing off after a couple of years and sunlight breaks down the polyester. It's reputation for toughness came from being compared to the boats that used Dacron fishing net or heavy duty lace, a few years before. Any of the harsh methods for cleaning mold off (pure bleach, oven cleaner, 3500 psi pressure washers, etc ) shortens it's life

The plain black mesh most boat use is polypropylene. It is industrial looking and scratchy. There are soft smooth polypropylene meshes. The best I have seen was from Redhead in Australia, it was 3 times as much as a standard. For all practical purposes, polypropylene mesh does not degrade in sunlight. The stitching will wear out, a couple of times before the mesh wears.

Vinyl can be heat sealed. Polypropylene should be stitched, heat sealing makes it brittle. Hobie and others made some heat sealed polypropylene that really sucked, avoid them.