I have tried the hang back and typically try a port start just behind the start, but with 6 or so Mustoos and couple of 49ers all who can tack on a dime and other cats trying the same, then almost immediately the start gun has gone off, boats are already tacking onto port, boats stuck on the line having a bitch with each other, and lasers doing about 2 knots, there hasn't been much luck in finding room through without tacking again. The minute you tack again you are then just another boat on Starboard and as slow as the next boat ahead and now well behind with very dirty air.

If you try to take the mid point or the pin end then the Mustoos and the 49ers can keep you at bay until probably the next 2 legs as the Musttoos have virtually the same upwind sail area and the 49ers a "ginormous " amount more ( we also have typically some quite bizarre courses to include reaches for those two sail boats )by which time you can never make back your handicap. The only time I have done alright on handicap has been to get in close and get away early, but the manoveribility of my cat at half speed just cannot match the skiffs.

But the racing is good fun and theres plenty of banter but it can be frustrating to say the least.