Originally Posted by GISCO
t,s really sad to see the lack of interest in the multihull championship ( Alter Cup). The main reason for the formation of this event was to show, the multihull sailors and at that time USYRU that we were part of the total sailing community. We use the same rules and race the same as monohulls, but just use another type of craft. So, to not appear that we were different the event was patterned after the existing national ladder championships. 10 boats and 10 area teams with no petitions.

I truly appreciate the sailors, volunteers and suppliers that have kept this event going for 20+ years. I just hope the current apathy doesn't portend it's demise.

It has always been an uphill battle to get multihulls integrated with USSA. Thank goodness for for John's involvment, but it takes more than one.

Back in the dark ages when the multihull council was first formed at USYRU I started the multihull championshp with a two fold purpose in mind. First it was to give the sailors a connection to the governing body of sailing in the US (USYRU). The other was to show USYRU that multihulls were no different than the rest of the sailing community by patterning the event after the existing championships (10 teams/10 boats). The 10 teams from the ten areas gave sailors from regions where multihulls were not prevelent a chance to compete at the national level. It was not meant to the best sailor in the country, but the best sailor of the ten regions.

Since that time the event has gone far afield from the original concept with the expansion to 20 teams invitations and petitions. It's time to take a good hard look to see how to make it an event to strive for again. If not it's had a good long run.

We originaly wanted to have the qualifiers in a one design boat per the other championships. After researching the boats in the areas, it seemed that there were very few that could come up with enough boats to hold an event on a one design platform. The idea was to have an event that all multihull sailors could identify with USYRU, as we were just getting started with the governing body for sailing in the USA . You have to realize that this was concieved 20+ years ago.

GI

Matt,
The Alter Cup was originally set up as a ladder event 10 areas 10 boats. It remained that way for a number of years until some of the council members thought that there were top multihull sailors that didn't have time to compete in the ladder events and they should be invited. That's when it expanded to 20 teams. I believe I was the only vote against the change.

G.i.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.