Having been through this already with my two kids I'll share a couple of perspectives based upon what I learned.

Our boats, on which both of the kids have spent time, include a H17, a H16 and a H14 turbo. All are fine and my daughter and son each enjoyed themselves in light to moderate winds. High winds and too much speed (even though Dad was having a ball) can spoil an otherwise enjoyable experience. Each at one time or another endured high and frightening winds on their own and both walked away from sailing for extended periods of time. I found rebuilding confidence and overcoming fear (especially with my daughter) can be a slow process.

In retrospect, I would have spent more time having my kids engaged in making the choice in boats. There are a lot of them out there to try out first. I would also make simple and easy as a first priority. I came up from a Sunfish through an M16 and a C-scow and then into a H14 uni. Sometimes it is easy to forget that my first boat was my true beginer boat and it worked because it was so simple and forgiving.

Guess a first choice to try out today would be a Hobie Wave. It wouldn't be the fastest on our lake but I would sure feel much more confident allowing 2 or 3 youngsters to have the run of the lake with it on their own. Suspect 3 young girls would find it cute also.

Anyway, one Dad's perspective. Best of luck with your search.

Tom G

PS. Mary, if you read this maybe sharing some of your perspectives on the Wave would be insightfull to all.